The first issue of the original 'St Joseph's Foreign Missionary Advocate' appeared in the Autumn of 1883. The front page had an engraving of the College at Mill Hill, above which in large letters the following words: "HELP! HELP! HELP! us to send Priests to the 900,000,000 HEATHEN." It was announced that the new magazine would be issued quarterly, that it would cost one and a half pence per copy, two pence in Australia, and with the American supplement, 6 US cents.
Readers of St. Joseph’s Advocate know us as the Mill Hill Missionaries. The name goes right back to 1866 when Fr. Herbert Vaughan (later Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster) founded our Missionary Society in a place called Mill Hill, located in North West London. But our official title is ‘St. Joseph’s Missionary Society’.